Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Galapagos on the cheap

Flying back to Nicaragua, I was excited to see Dinh, but not as excited about the actual place itself. It had started to give me a sour taste for some reason. I felt like I was rotting away living there. I wasn't accomplishing anything there. I just wasn't feeling it. And I was itching like crazy to explore South America!
After New Years, Dinh and I hitched a ride to Costa Rica with one of Dinh's friends, then from there we took a bus to Panama City. It was a 2 day journey and I was happy to set foot on stable ground when we arrived. We stayed with Dinh's old cop partner and his wife for a few nights in Panama City. They were super hospitable hosts and I really enjoyed staying with them in their beautiful home. Dinh and Toddy had worked together, patrolling the streets of Orange County, for 10 years. They know each other like the backs of their hands. 
When it was time to go, Toddy and his wife dropped us off at the airport and we flew to mainland Ecuador. The next day, we were off to the Galápagos Islands!
I had a list of the animals I wanted to see while I was there and refused to leave until I saw them all. Ha. 
Most of them can only be found in the Galapagos. 
I was most fascinated with the giant tortoises. These gentle creatures were almost driven to extinction after ships sailing off course landed on the islands many years ago and brought them aboard as food during the long journey by sea. 
How could anyone eat these sweet cutie pies?
They can live up to an impressive 200 years old. 
To watch them walk with their heavy shells was astonishing. I couldn't take my eyes off these wise souls.  
One day, while out on a long bike ride, we ran into one in the wild. I came screaming down a dirt road, the wind blowing my hair into a snarl. Barreling around a curve, I see a turtle slowly crossing the road. I squeezed both the break handles hard. Scccrrrreeeechhhh!!
Almighty Jesus, I darn near ran over a tortoise!!!
I discarded my bike and walked over to the little guy with a house on his back. Keeping my distance, I marveled at his thick, scaly skin and wrinkly neck. He was very alert. Any sudden movement sent him crouching back into his thick shell. 
Adorable!
The Galapagos have a reputation for being expensive, but they don't have to be. As with most places, if you opt out of pricey tours and do it yourself, you'll save heaps of cash. 
The flight alone from Ecuador is about $400-500. Flying from Guayaquil is cheaper than from Quito. 
When you arrive, there is a mandatory $100 entrance fee to get into the park. Cash only. 
We didn't book a hotel before we arrived. We just traipsed around town searching for a hotel. You can find decent accommodation for around $30/ night. But I can't promise that it will have hot water. There are 18 main islands in the Galapagos. Dinh and I stayed on Santa Cruz and Isabella. A ferry ride between the 2 islands will set you back $30 one way. It's a 2 hour ride. Hold on tight, it can get bumpy! Yeehaw!
 Santa Cruz is the biggest, most happening town in the Galapagos. And there ain't much happening there, let me tell you. 
The locals have that island-life mentality, so you'll meet lots of friendly, laid-back inhabitants. 
Isabella island is even more sleepy. We arrived around noon and could have sworn it was a ghost town. There was no one in any of the restaurants. I guess they were all taking a siesta. 
A major tip I have for anyone visiting the Galapagos: wear lots of sunscreen!! The sun is way stronger than you are probably used to. I learned the hard way. Not prone to sunburns, my skin sizzled in the strong sun and I was one hurting unit for a few days after. Physical barrier is best. Even in the heat, I wore long sleeves. 

You're directly on the equator, remember.  

A boat ride is vital to see a lot of the different animals. If you wander around town into many of the tour agencies, you can barter for a boat tour. We paid $45 for an all day tour that included snorkeling.
blue footed boobies
I watched in horror as the captain of our boat jumped into the water with his snorkel gear on and started pointing below him. "Sharks!", he giddily exclaimed. He wanted us to all jump in and see the school of sharks swimming below. 
What?! Did he say sharks?! With an "s"?!! This guy is nuts!!
It was a fun day and so nice to get in the water and swim next to these magnificent aquatic animals. 
If it's been your dream to see the Galapagos Islands, by all means, don't let the cost deter you. You can do it on the cheap, believe me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment