Friday, January 24, 2014

A Christmas surprise

After my 3 week solo escapade to Costa Rica, Cuba and Panama, I decided it would be a good idea to go back to Nicaragua where my boyfriend was. He was happy as a clam surfing twice a day, everyday. I can't say I love Nicaragua. It's not a place where I go "wow, I really love this place!"  But I tolerate it because Dinh loves it with all his heart. Relationships are about compromise.... or something like that. 

So back to Nicaragua I went. I also had an ulterior motive for returning. This last August I had purchased a plane ticket to return home to Minnesota for 12 days over Christmas. My flight left from Managua, Nicaragua. The holidays are such a special time and I didn't want to miss another precious holiday with my family. Money is no object when it comes to memories. 
The cool thing about my return home was this: my family had NO IDEA I was coming home!!!
I had kept this secret for 4 months. Do you know how hard that is to do?!! 
I was bursting at the seams!!
I took 3 flights in order to get back to Minnesota. I went from a very hot, humid environment to very frigid, arctic-like surroundings. My body was confused. 
I was up at 3 am in order to catch my flight from Managua. I drove to the airport as Dinh slept in the passenger seat. I couldn't suppress my hyperness and thoroughly annoyed Dinh with my anxious silliness. I was elated to be going home!!!
My sister and her fam
I had planned it so I would be home right before my mom went to sleep. But, things don't always go as planned and my last flight from Chicago to Sioux Falls was delayed by 2 hours. This put a kink in my plans. For months, I had rehearsed in my head how I would surprise my family. One plan was to ring the doorbell wearing a mask with my Panamanian hat.
I decided against it after remembering my Dad's easily accessible shotgun. 
I didn't decide on how I would pull off the surprise until I was actually on the last leg of my journey. On the dark drive home, I felt that certain comfort you feel when you go home. Familiarity. Everything is going to be ok. Nothing can hurt me here. 
I couldn't wait to bust in the front door and tell my mom that her baby was home, home for Christmas!!
My mommy
As my car crept over the squeaky snow outside my parents house, I switch off my headlights before making the final turn. 
I fumbled for my phone and called my mom from Skype, like I usually do when I'm overseas. My dad answered. 
"Kinda late to be calling, isn't it?", my Dad questioned when I asked for mom. 
My mom was sleeping, but I had to wake her.
"Hello", my mom said in a raspy, just-woken-up voice. 
"Mom, I have something really important to tell you", I said while creeping closely to the front door and sliding my key in as quiet as possible. 
"Ok, what is it?", she responded. 
At that moment, I opened the front door and started singing "I'll be home for Chistmas!"
I ran into her bedroom and the dogs were going crazy barking at all the commotion. 
My mom sat up in bed, struggled to put her glasses on and stared at me baffled, unable to process what was happening in her twilight state of mind. 
"Surprise, I'm home!", I explained, jumping around like a crazed rabbit.
I picked up my little dog, Harley, who was scratching at my leg for attention. I loved her up. It felt so good to get kisses from her again. I miss her more than you can imagine when I'm traveling. 
 The next day, I surprised my sister at school (she's a kindergarten teacher). She had the same reaction as my mom. Disbelief. They just stare at you for a while. Then it hits them and they're excited. 

It was a white Christmas, which was a good break from the tropical areas I had been living in for the last few months. 

It was good fun to surprise everybody and I'm so grateful that I bought that plane ticket so many months earlier. Money well spent. 

My homecoming was bittersweet, however. On Christmas Day, we went to the nursing home where my extended family gathers since my grandma is a resident there. I curled my grandma's hair and put makeup on her. I wanted her to look extra nice that day. She didn't seem like herself. She was lethargic and didn't eat much of anything. 
The last 4 days I was home, I spent it at the nursing home with my sick grandma. My mom, aunts, cousin, sister and niece and nephew were also there. 
We would bring lunch and crochet, put puzzles together and chit chat in my grandmas room. I know she really enjoyed our company even though she wasn't able to speak very much. 

The day before flying back to Nicaragua, I spent the day at my grandmas bedside. I let her know how much I loved her. I love her so very much. 

I didn't want to believe that this might be the last time I would see her, so I kissed her goodbye and told her I would see her that summer. 
In the days prior, I made sure I told her everything I wanted, just in case I never got the chance again. 

The very next day, when I was at the Houston airport flying back, my mom called to tell me that grandma had passed away. It was a difficult night for me and my eyes weren't dry for 2 days after that. 
I wish I could have stayed home for just a while longer, to be with my family. 
Family is #1.

I also wish each one of you could have met my grandma. She was one of the best people I knew. 
I take that back, she was the best. I never once saw her get angry or lose her patience. She was so loving and always made me feel warm and fuzzy. Such a special lady. 
The timing couldn't have been more perfect. I'm so glad I was able to see her in her last days.
I believe I have another guardian angel watching over me on my travels.
Love you grandma!!

No comments:

Post a Comment