Sunday, January 05, 2014

Cuba this and that

I'll never forget my first smell of a Cuban cigar. The corners of my lips curled up as I realized how important the moment was. It hit me like a freight train, I was really in Cuba and I was really smelling the smoke from the famous Cuban cigar.
Incredible. 
I felt a sense of success at that moment. I had dreamed of traveling to Cuba for quite some time, but the fantasy seemed far from reality at times. 
With relentless research and a boat-load of determination, I realized that I could see Cuba with my own eyes if I truly desired. 
Really, anything is possible if you want it badly enough. Don't EVER tell yourself any different. You are more powerful than you know. 
I'd like to talk about the architecture in Havana now. Arriving in Havana mid afternoon, I had time to explore the neighborhoods surrounding my hotel before the sun blessed the other side of the world with its presence. 
I was spellbound by the old worn down buildings. My eyes scanned each building carefully, picking up on the fine details. I passed by masterpiece structures that were now in shambles. I could imagine what they looked like in all their glory and was thoroughly impressed. 
"Surely no one could live there", I thought to myself.  
Just as fast as this thought crossed my mind, it was squashed by the sight of a man walking his dog down the crumbling steps of one of the buildings. 
WTF
These edifices were fully functioning, alive with family happenings. Clothes hung on balconies and local ladies chatted together as they sat on the front steps. I couldn't believe it. 
The progression of infrastructure had obviously come to a halt after the embargo restriction came into effect. 
In my opinion, the dilapidated buildings only add to the romantic charm of Havana. UNESCO is working to restore some of the buildings, and what a sight it is to see the finished product. 
There's no telling how much longer these structures will hang on before falling to their fate. My recommendation to you is that you go see them before they are gone!
If you do decide to go, one thing I should warn you about, if you are a woman, is how the men in Cuban are hornballs. 
Straight up. 
I had to just come out and say that. Now you know. 
At first you might feel flattered being called "beautiful" by a man on every street corner, but after the 537th time, it gets old. 
And if I had a quarter for every time a guy made a loud kissing noise at me, I'd have enough money to fly us all to India and back. 
I'd like to point out that this lighthearted sexual harassment was nothing compared to the evilness I experienced while in Morocco. 
Or maybe I had just developed a tolerance for it. 
Either way, I can say that I didn't sense any evilness coming from these horny Cubans. 
After about 4 days of enduring this kind of treatment, I decided to reverse the roles. Strolling through a neighborhood one day, I saw the perfect opportunity: a group of men sitting on the steps outside one of the rundown buildings. I saunter by, knowing exactly what behavior would follow. 
Sure enough, all the men had their own kissing mating call for me. I looked right at them and, turning my head up a little, I made a loud kissey sound back at them. For a split second, I saw the shock in their eyes. They don't get this response too often. 
I swivel on my heel and strut away. Behind me, I hear an uproar of laughter. Judging from their giggles, these hyenas thought it was the funniest thing ever. 
I smirk. Then turn around and give them a little "ha" smile. 
They call for me to come back, but I refuse. Sorry boys, got things to do. 
Another funny story about the kissey noises. On my last day in Cuba, I was taking a stroll through one of the tranquil parks in town. A very handsome policeman catches my eye. He was standing at the edge of the sidewalk. I lost track of time as I was mesmerized by his beauty. This was quite possibly the most handsome man I've ever seen in real life. (Besides my boyfriend) I'm being honest. I couldn't take my eyes off his perfectly proportionate face, thick eyebrows, twinkling eyes and full lips. This man could have made a fortune in the modeling industry. 
I keep walking. I keep staring. 
Soon I was only a few feet away from him. I continued to stare. I couldn't help myself. I had no shame. He was staring right into my eyes when, all of a sudden, his sexy pink lips form into a kiss and I hear the infamous kissey noise!!! It all happened in slow motion. I was utterly shocked. This policeman was supposed to be professional. I guess no man is immune from making the kissey noise. I burst out into fits of laughter. I was bent over, holding my stomach as I walked away. I look back and see the man laughing with me. It was a hilarious moment. Only in Cuba. 
As you can see, I really love Cuba. It is definitely my favorite country on this trip so far. 
I found the old ladies smoking cigars on the street to be quite charming, along with the lack of technology and the ways the locals had adapted to it. 
Kids actually played on the streets. They weren't glued to their smart phone, missing ample opportunities to wear off some of their energy. You can find the kids in Cuba kicking around a soccer ball or playing a game of baseball in the middle of the street, interrupted  only briefly by the old cars that would putz by. 
A game of chess is more rewarding than checking their newsfeed on Facebook. Actually, they don't even have Facebook.
Cuba was very UN-Americanized. And I like that. 
It's kinda depressing to see a McDonalds stuck in the middle of a seemingly remote area overseas. You won't find this in Cuba. It's like one of the last areas in the world that is still a virgin to all things American. The noxious hands of America are yet to touch Cuba. 
You won't see any billboards and not much advertising. 

This is quite possibly the best kept travel destination secret. I had no idea how amazing Cuba is!! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I randomly came across your blog while doing some research on going to cuba. I would love to ask you some questions, could you send me your e-mail address. Here is mine lisamariereeve@gmail.com

    Thanks :]

    ReplyDelete