Sunday, May 06, 2012

Hey, Seoul sister!


Korea was a sociable time for me. I'm fortunate enough to know 5 different friends in Seoul, and was able to meet up with all of them while I was here! Marimon, whom I worked with at Tripler, the army hospital in Hawaii, is now stationed here in Seoul. We had a wonderful dinner out one night and I met her husband and adorable son. We reminisced about our time in Hawaii and I felt a strong sense of nostalgia for the tiny islands in the Pacific. But I knew I'd be back in a months time. 


I mentioned Hannah in my last post, who showed me a traditional Korean restaurant. 
I also met up with Sunny, Jin and Yoon. I met these 3 Koreans in Morocco. They are so pleasant to be around. So light-hearted. They brought me to a traditional tea house in the trendy college district and taught me all about this tea drinking business. I have to say, it was the best tea I've ever had in my life. I'm not just saying that. Sunny ordered for me since the menu was in Korean. The waiter brings me a huge cup, that could easily pass for a soup bowl, that's filled with a sweet citrus tea. On the bottom of this barrel of goodness was a ton of lemon peels, which tasted like they had drowned in an ocean of sugar water. It was SO yummy! The peelings alone were enough to qualify for a meal!
If I lived in Seoul, you could find me sipping tea at this establishment on a daily basis. With a big smile on my face :)
Yoon, me, Jin and Sunny
It was comforting to see some familiar faces, considering I haven't seen one face I've known for several months. Almost as comforting as that bowl of tea....


What else have I been doing?
I had acupuncture done for my lower back pain. Hold on.... yep, the pain is still there. At least I tried. Acupuncture was actually slightly painful. First they slapped a physiotherapy pad on my lower back that felt like a thousand needles assaulting me without my permission. They stuck those suction cups on my back again too, so now I have another set of huge hideous hickey's. I think the old ones are still visible. I was momentarily turned into a pin cushion as they plucked needles into my scalp, between my fingers, my inner elbow, lower back, outer knees and inner ankles. I intermittently switched back and forth between ticklish laughter and "youch!" 
Well, now I can say I've tried it. Acupuncture worked miracles on my dog, but I'm not sure if it had the same effect on me. Maybe I feel an eentsy bit better....


I've been walking my feet off all over Seoul and also navigating my way around the city using the fabulous subway. It's simple and clean. It's civilized, unlike China, where they physically squish you into the subway cars. I'm serious. And I'm laughing the entire time because I can't believe it's happening. Oh, China....
traditional tea


I've also been keeping my promise to myself by running about every other night. This in itself has created more adventures to add to the list. As I was bee-bopping through the back streets of Seoul one night, I got caught up in the local happenings as I watched Korean life whiz by. Locals eating at hot pot restaurants, walking their cute miniature dogs (it seems like everyone here has one), moseying with their loved ones and kids. I usually never get lost, but I was distracted this night. I stopped to ask for directions from a boy on a bicycle. He stammered over his nonexistent English and I knew it was hopeless. A family in a parked car noticed my predicament and asked if they could help. I told them where I was trying to go and they told me it was several miles away. "Geez, I really got in a good workout", I thought. 


They insisted on giving me a ride. I obliged, but only because my gut feeling wasn't throwing up any red flags. The man's wife was holding their newborn in her arms in the front seat (no car seat, this no longer shocks me) and his elderly mother was in the back seat. I didn't see any present threat. I slipped in the back seat next to the old granny. She stared at me the entire time with a big, friendly, wrinkly smile and twinkly eyes. My skin and hair was wet with sweat. I slid around on the leather seats as we rounded corners and hoped I didn't stink too bad in the enclosed space. 
Yoon pouring the tea
We had a nice conversation on the way to my destination. They couldn't believe I was traveling for over 8 months. They told me I must be rich. I said no, I'm really not. Rich with memories, yes. 
I thanked them as I hopped out of the car. They told me to be careful. They were like my caring family away from home. They were contributing to my positive feelings toward Koreans. My heart was warmed by their kindness and I smiled as I started to run again into the night.
If I had to describe Koreans in one word, it would be: SWEET. They are so polite. They are also very shy, which I find cute.


Korea is pretty low key, which is maybe why I feel a little under stimulated here.  I like to travel to places that challenge me. Places that throw me completely off kilter and knock my socks off. Exotic places! Korea is ordinary and organized. There's absolutely no WOW factor. It's bland. If Korea was a food, it would be a boring old potato. I've realized that, as chaotic as they are, I really prefer traveling in third world countries. The reason why I love India so much is because it's so extremely different from anything I've ever known. (And because I love the people). It's entertaining, shocking and fun. 


However, I'm thankful for my time in Korea and happy I was able to meet up with my old friends. BUT, I'm tapping my foot waiting for my plane to take me to the next destination: Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment