Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Hodge podge Mongolian thoughts


I still can't get over how amazing Mongolia is. As we bounce along the nonexistent dirt roads, we pass by herds of yaks, sheep, goats and horses, stopping frequently for animal crossings.
Wild horses roam freely across the flowing mountain land, kicking up their heels gleefully, their manes dancing in the wind.
Many locals get around by moped. I couldn't help but think of "Dumb and Dumber" when I saw a couple of Mongolian men cruising along the dirt roads on a moped, shivering.
Gambaht, our driver, has a tape of traditional Mongolian music that has begun to wear out it's welcome. He hums along happily.
Lunch at a local diner. Fried egg, rice, potatoes and bread. Mongolia would be impossible on the Atkin's diet. Cost: $2. (2600 Togrog).
Some gers have satellite tv, but no internet. Most Mongolian nomads own a cell phone.
Mongolians are remarkably hospitable people. They stuffed us full of tea and other food each time we entered their gers. They gave Tim endless amounts of yak meat and other mystery meats. As vegetarians, Johannes and I were usually stuffed with puffy square mini-donut-tasting treats. 2 different families gave up their gers for us to sleep in, as they slept on the floor. I felt bad, but they didn't seem to mind. It seems like they would do anything to make us happy. We were only charged $3.80 for each night in the ger. Though I think the amount of wood we used to heat the ger and the abundant food they provided were worth much more than that.
Arriving at their ger, they greeted us with a "Sain uu!" (hello) and a friendly handshake.
Although we drove up to 6 hours a day, we still found plenty of time to get out and explore. Throughout the week, we hiked to a volcano, a waterfall, a hot spring, a monastery and a lake. It feels so peaceful to be surrounded by nature. At the waterfall, Tim and Johannes acted like typical boys and were throwing progressively larger rocks into the icy lake below. I was amused as I watched them. Boys will be boys.
There's not a whole lot to do around here, but we were never bored. I imagine the local teenagers find creative ways to entertain themselves. At one ger, we watched as 2 teenager boys putzed around the family farm on a moped within a half mile radius and blared Mongolian rap from a radio. It seemed like this would get old fast, but they seemed highly content. They have to be creative out here in the middle of nowhere. Most nights, Tim, Johannes and I were usually so tuckered out, we would all fall exhaustively into our pillow and be sleeping within seconds. Other nights, we would eat supper and play "Would you rather?" For example, "would you rather be eaten by a shark or a bear?" It was great fun.



We were with each other for practically every minute of the entire week. (Excluding bathroom breaks, ha!). We really got to know each other well. They had me rolling in laughter and I was really glad they were experiencing Mongolia with me.


We had a lot of fun with Gambaht, our driver. He was always laughing and smiling. His English wasn't very good and he would say funny things like "baby village" which would mean "small village." We helped improve his English as he taught us Mongol.
All in all, I absolutely love Mongolia. It's very simple and relaxing here. The countryside was so peaceful. Such a special place. I feel so happy here, like I've swallowed an entire bottle of Prozac. Yes, it's a little chilly here, but I'm able to handle it. Besides, it was a nice break from the stifling heat of Southeast Asia.


Mongolians are amazing. So real. Good people. Even the animals are nice. The dogs here look quite healthy and robust. I suppose a skinny Indian dog wouldn't survive long here.


I loved how the stars shone bright in the unpolluted air. I will always think fondly of my Mongolian adventure. Tourism in Mongolia is only about 10 years old. Most of the country remains untouched, which seems so rare in the world these days. I feel so blessed to have seen this stunning country. 
It's like the old wild West here. I was waiting for the tumble weeds to bounce by. It's untamed and I hope it remains that way for years to come. I would highly recommend visiting Mongolia. It will warm your heart and open your eyes to a truly beautiful world.

No comments:

Post a Comment