Monday, March 19, 2012

Somber killing fields of Cambodia

While in Phnom Penh, I decided to visit the Choeung Ek killing fields, where thousands of Cambodians were murdered after the Khmer rouge regime took over in the 70's. These tragic events were very similar to what happened during the holocaust. I had the opportunity to visit Dachau concentration camp while I was in Germany, so I knew the kind of somber experience I was in for. The killing fields are an important part of the Cambodians history. It's absolutely unbelievable that something this atrocious happened. All together, nearly 4 million Cambodians were killed. 4 million!
One of the mnay mass graves


Whats even more shocking is the fact that it happened in the not-so-distant past. 1975-1979. Just shortly before I was brought into this world. It's hard to fathom the fact that genocides have occurred all around the world. How can human beings be so ruthless?


I hired a tuk-tuk to drive me to the outskirts of Phnon Penh to these killing fields. My tuk-tuk driver's name was "John". He told me his brother and sister were killed in the S-21 prison.


As I listened to my audio guide, I walked on the land where these horrific acts took place. The audio-guide provided commentaries from actual survivors. How can you ever be the same after going through something like that?


There were stories of babies being bludgeoned to death and guards smashing the prisoners skulls on a tree in order to save bullets. Loud music was played to drown out the screams of the victims. Different torture devices were also used. Pieces of clothes, shards of bones and teeth can still be seen on these haunting grounds, more continue to resurface with heavy rain. Numerous skulls were on display, many with fractures.
teeth and bones from victims


It gave me goosebumps to be present in a place that saw such a great deal of suffering. A place where so many lives were taken. It was uncomfortable.


After visiting the humbling killing fields, I visited the Tuol Sleng museum, the location of the S-21 prison, where many Cambodians were held as prisoners and tortured before being murdered. There were countless eerie mug shots of the victims upon arrival.

Many of them had blood splattered on their faces. The look of horror in their eyes was heart breaking.


I shuffled through the display slowly, looking into each of their black eyes, deeply sensing their fear and paying my respect. It made me outraged that such horrific crimes were committed against these people that I truly have grown a liking for. My sweet, friendly Cambodians! Such beautiful people! How could someone have treated them like this?!

I choked back tears as I saw pictures of woman with their precious babies. The babies were murdered in front of them. In one mug shot, a mother held her sleeping infant, who looked so peaceful. She had no idea what was going to happen next. She never had a chance to experience all the wonderful things in life.


I read witness accounts from lucky survivors of the gruesome sights they were exposed to and terrible conditions they endured. The girl standing next to me was sobbing. I had to walk away before my own tears fell.


There were pictures of dead bodies of prisoners in the electrocution rooms that were tortured to death. They did nothing to deserve this atrocious treatment.


I walked by a picture of Pol Pot, the Cambodian man responsible for these horrific acts, the leader of the Khmer rouge regime. I felt an intense hatred towards this man. What was wrong with him?! How can anyone be so cruel? I just don't understand it. I felt a little bit of peace knowing he was now rotting in hell. What's even more perplexing is the fact that the ones that committed the killings were Cambodians! Cambodians killing Cambodians.


I floated out of the prison with a blank face, trying to process everything I just saw, my throat tight from holding back tears. As we drove back through the city, I looked at the passing faces of my beloved Cambodians in a different light. I now knew what kind of pain they had suffered. And still, they smile, always smiling! What an amazing culture.

I apologize if this was difficult for you to read. Can you imagine what is was like to actually be there? As hard as it is to visit these sites, it's so very important we are aware of what happened, so this may never happen again.
There aren't too many things I can think of that are more senseless than war.






1 comment:

  1. Hey Lady! Where are you these days? I am in Hanoi, thinking about hitting up Halong Bay in the next few days...not sure what your plans are but I would sure love to see yo face again! :)

    Ember

    ReplyDelete