Friday, March 16, 2012

"Hello, Lady!"

Entering another country is like opening a Christmas present. You never know exactly what you're going to get.

2 things are essential when arriving in a foreign country: obtaining local currency and learning how to say "hello" and "thank you" in the local language, at the very least. In Cambodia, it was easy, they speak English and the US dollar is widely used. They have their own currency, the Riel, but prefer to use the American dollar. Works for me!

The "15 hour" bus journey from Laos to Cambodia turned out to be an excruciating 29 hours, exactly as I predicted. It still boggles my mind why the local Laotians fabricate stories about how long it takes to get to your destination. I chalk it up to the fact that tourism is fairly new in Laos. Hopefully this will improve over the years. Bus journey lengths are a hot topic among tourists traveling in Laos. But, you have to learn to deal with it. Always double the time they tell you, problem solved. Ha!

I immediately felt a different vibe after crossing the border into Cambodia. It was a very good vibe, which provided me with tremendous relief. Cambodia's vibe is much lighter and happier than Laos.

The first thing I heard from a Cambodian man when I stepped off the bus was, "Hello, lady! Tuk-tuk?" I burst out laughing.

"Lady?" I replied to the brown skinned man smiling ear to ear. It sounded so funny to hear such plain English coming out of his mouth. I was accustomed to Laos, where locals speak little to no English. I guess "Hello, Lady!" has been determined by the locals to be the best way to get the attention of a female foreigner.

These days, I get called "lady" at least 50 times a day. Each time it cracks me up. Sometimes I respond to their "hello, lady!" with "hello, man!" They seem to think this is pretty funny.

Cambodians are extremely friendly. They have a vibrant charisma to them. A zest for life, if you will. They are beautiful people, inside and out.

The children are especially adorable. They wave and also greet me with the ubiquitous "hello, lady!"

Venturing into the rural landscape outside of Siem Reap, I see scrawny Cambodian children riding a bike 10 times too big for him or her. It's quite comical. They can't even reach the seat. They are so cute! Maybe I'll follow in Angelina Jolie's footsteps and adopt my own Cambodian baby :)

Even though this is one of the poorest nations in the world, the people are resistantly happy. Cambodia should be dubbed the land of smiles, instead of Thailand. Their smiles are bountiful and purely genuine.

I'm still puzzled by the fact that everybody stares at me in Cambodia. I don't think much has changed since Laos, where they barely acknowledged my presence. Its a very curious stare and is always accompanied with a smile, so I don't mind. Their happy attitude is contagious, which causes me to wear a permanent smile. I feel so happy here, I don't think it would be possible to feel any happier. There's something about this country....

But it hasn't always been unicorns and lollipops for Cambodians.

They've seen their fair share of hardship. In 1975, the Khmer Rouge's totalitarian regime left 4 million Cambodians dead. Very sad. Not to mention that in the 60's the US was dropping bombs on them.

As I breeze through the peaceful green countryside in a tuk-tuk, it's hard to imagine that these horrific times ever existed.

We should all be grateful that we don't have to collect our own cow's poop to burn for cooking and staying warm. Because that's what they do in third world countries, in case you didn't know. Using their bare hands, they pack the poo into patties while it's still warm. Think of this the next time you nonchalantly turn the dial on your stove.
through Cambodia on a tuk-tuk

I feel like a good portion of Americans are clueless when it comes to third world countries. Since Americans aren't known for being well trodden travelers, we rely on information from the news. Well, my friends, sorry to burst your bubble, but that's an inaccurate perception.

Traveling is the best form of education money can buy. Forget Harvard, go travel!

Hello, Lady! Its a big world out there, go explore it!

No comments:

Post a Comment