Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Port Lockroy, Antarctica

My very favorite stop on the Antarctica expedition was Port Lockroy. 
It used to be a British base back in the day. Today, it functions as a museum and gift shop. There are actually 4 girls that live on the little island during the summer months. They have the important job of counting penguin eggs, and running the gift shop, of course. 

Port Lockroy is a popular tourist stop. The coolest part about Port Lockroy: you can mail postcards there! I sent about 15 postcards to my friends and family back home when I was there. Let me tell ya, it's pretty groovy to get a postcard ALL the way from Antarctica. 
I give the girls that live here a lot of credit. They have to endure the harsh elements, be without internet or shower, and deal with tourists all day long. We had the honor of letting these brave girls hitch a ride back to Argentina with us on our way back home. It was the end of the summer season, and time for them to head back home. I was able to talk with a couple of the girls over dinner one night. It was so interesting hearing their stories. They told me about how they had gained weight due to their diet consisting mostly of canned and dried foods. They were so delighted to have fresh fruit on our ship!
Here's a few photos from Port Lockroy:
Mailing my postcards
The gift shop
curious guys
And here are a few odds and ends pics that I wanted to post:
The route our boat took
Polar plunge 



No comments:

Post a Comment