Saturday, November 16, 2013

Noshing on pupusas in El Salvador

Did you know? El Salvador has a heavenly, dirt-cheap street food called a pupusa. It looks like a pancake and consists of a doughy outer shell, stuffed with ingredients such as cheese, meat and beans. I loved to eat the bean and cheese pupusas.
I had read about pupusas while researching this trip and was excited to try them. Just as I imagined, the minute we crossed the border into El Salvador, the local ladies (and men) were busy cooking them up. They are experts at pitty-pattying the balls into shape after stuffing them with the ingredients, then whipping them onto the stove, turning them ever so often. The smell created by these yummy disks cooking and the slapping sound of the worker making them made for a memorable ambiance. In most cases, they couldn't pump them out fast enough! There was usually a long line up of hungry patrons. The ubiquitous little stands satisfied my cravings.
The pupusas are cooked on a skillet with no shortage of oil. Ok, let's face it, they're not the healthiest thing to eat. But they are totally tasty! A comfort food. I refrained from eating one for breakfast, lunch and dinner, fearing I'd clog my arteries right up. But I did indulge a bit :)
Oh, and the best part is that they only cost about 50 cents each. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment