Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Coming to America!

Flying to Hawaii from the Philippines really threw me for a loop. It was the worst case of jet lag I had ever experienced. My body just couldn't adjust to it's new environment and time zone. I laid awake in bed at 2:30 am, my mind fully active. I tried to force myself to drift into la-la land, but I just could not do it. This went on for 3 long nights. To complicate matters, I was super excited to be back in Hawaii.
Wouldn't you be?

It was a pivotal moment for me. A chapter of my life was ending and I wasn't sure if I was ready for this. But, I needed a break from all the traveling, emotionally and physically. This was such a special time in my life. The memories I created will be with me for a lifetime. As I lay awake in bed, my mind reminisced of the different places I'd been and I could see the people's faces I met so vividly in my mind. I have an incredible photographic memory and can even draw out the floor plan of each hotel I stayed in. I flashed back to countries that are so far away now, but at the time they felt like home to me, and nothing even close to foreign. I've left footprints all around the world. That makes me happy :)


I'm slowly adjusting to life in America. Although, I wouldn't say Hawaii feels 100% like America. There's culture here, which is one of the reasons why I love it so much. I knew there would be some degree of reverse culture shock once I arrived in the USA. I'm prepared for another round of shock once I get to the mainland.
In the aloha state, my mind is playing tricks on me. Every time I see a brown-skinned person, I expect to hear a foreign language spewing from their mouth, but instead when they speak, I hear English! 
I catch myself thinking how I'm going to play charades with people to ask a question. Then I realize I just have to speak my fluent English and they will understand me! 
Also, I can actually read ALL the ingredients on the packages at the grocery store! Things are so easy here!!!!
I caught myself throwing my used toilet paper in the garbage can, which I had been so accustomed to doing in third world countries where plumbing is poor. A little embarrassing....
I feel like a prisoner that's been released from jail and now has to adjust to life in the real world. 
I get overly excited when I see things such as Greek yogurt, hummus and York Peppermint Patties at the supermarket. It's a strange phenomenon. 


I feel completely spoiled for being able to talk on my cell phone and use the internet without having to connect to wi-fi. These days, I can lay on the beach and use the internet until the cows come home. 
I get so excited when I hear the chime of a new text. Don't laugh. Remember, I haven't heard this for 7.5 months. 
Driving a car took a little getting used to. Before I drove out of the rental car parking lot, I made sure I familiarized myself with all the electronics. Straighten the mirrors. Position the seat. Just like driver's ed had taught me. It was the first time since I was 16 that I was actually nervous to operate a vehicle. I pushed down on the accelerator with my foot and the car jolted ahead forcefully. I slammed on the brakes and quickly looked in the rear view mirror, hoping the workers didn't see me. I felt like a teenager stealing my parents car. Slowly, I got the hang of it again and was cruising around Honolulu like I own the place. 

Another thing I've noticed about America after being gone for awhile, sorry to say, but people are mean! I'm not used to such harsh people. I cower when someone says something impolite to me. I feel like crawling into the fetal position and crying "Please, just leave me alone!". I'm used to nice, polite locals. I've realized, more than ever, that Americans are rude. Not all of them, however. I guess I'll have to grow thick skin again if I want to live here....
If you've ever took an extended trip, you know there are a lot of things you need to sort out with yourself after you return home. 
I feel like I've changed so much and learned so many valuable lessons.
My brain feels like a tangled web that hasn't quite sorted out everything I've experienced. 
1 month of Hawaiian- island-hopping should suffice to organize my thoughts upstairs.  
I'll just lay on this beach a little longer, 'til I have everything figured out....

No comments:

Post a Comment