Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Indian bus blunder

Right now, I'm on a 4 hour bus ride from Fez to Chefchaeon, Morocco. I almost missed the bus this morning, which reminded me of a funny story that happened to me while I was in India. I will share my "bus mishap" with all of you, if you promise not to call me a dork. It's one of the funniest stories I have from India, although it seemed like I had one everyday while I was in India. I was traveling through Kerala, southern India, where I met a pleasant Brazilian girl. We planned to take the same bus to an Ayurvedic hospital, where we were to be patients for the next 10 days for a full body cleanse. I needed to purge my body of all the noxious environmental pollutants I'd had contact with over the last 2 months. We woke early to catch the 6 am bus and arrived with a few minutes to spare. We find a spot on the dirty, rickety local bus. This was going to be a 6 hour journey and we hadn't eaten breakfast. I told her I would run across the street quick and buy us bananas and water for the trip. I hesitated, knowing it would be cutting it close. "Don't let them leave without me!" I stressed.

India
I sprint across the road with my small backpack. My big backpack was on the bus already. First, I should point out that I'm still traumatized after a train left me in Serbia. After that horrific event, I am much more cautious of any mode of transportation departing with my bag and without me.
I run up to a little stand and order bananas and water. The skinny Indian man looks at me confused. Ok, he doesn't speak English. I rattle off what I need in Hindi and he perks up and goes to get the water. I can feel the precious seconds ticking away. I'm constantly looking back, keeping a keen eye on the bus. I was more paranoid than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I look away to grab some rupees out of my backpack. I hand them to the man and he gives me my bananas and water. I stuff the water in my bag and wait for my change. I look back and see the bus starting to pull away. I lurch and a rush of adrenaline sends me frantically flailing across the road after the bus. My backpack is hanging wide open on my arm and flapping around as I run like a maniac. Both my hands are waving wildly in the air above my head, one hand has 2 bananas in it. I looked like some kind of crazed ape. It was a fright. I was screaming, "WAIT, STOP ! STOP !"
There was no way I was letting this bus leave without me. I'm standing in the middle of the road, not allowing the bus to proceed any further unless he runs me over. The bus screeches to a halt, only a few feet from me.
I can also stop an elephant :)
I'm a little upset at this point, because before I got off the bus I told the driver where I was going so he wouldn't leave me.
I stomp up the stairs onto the bus, grumbling under my breath, "geez, I can't believe he was going to leave me". When I get to the top of the stairs, I look up. I notice the bus is a lot fuller than it was only about a minute ago. I scan the faces of the locals. They are looking at me, a little frightened, all with wide eyes, some with open mouths. I don't recognize any of them. I also don't see my Brazilian friend. The wheels in my head turn.
Oh shit, this is the WRONG bus !
I burst out laughing and apologize to everyone. I shamelessly hop off the bus. All that for nothing !
On the street, I bend over and hold my stomach in uncontrollable laughter. I'm laughing so hard, tears are running down my cheeks. I don't know if I've ever laughed this hard in my life. I notice there is roughly 20 local men standing along the road, staring at me. They looked shocked. Between gasps of laughter, I try to explain what I'm laughing for. I point at the stand, then at the bus, they nod their head like, "yea lady, we witnessed the whole thing. You're a nut case." I spin around a few times, still giggling hard. I see my bus sitting in the same spot where I left it.
When I looked down to get the money from my bag, another bus had pulled in front of my bus. In my defense, they looked exactly the same..... AND I was sleep deprived. 
I felt like a complete idiot, but I still found the situation to be utterly hilarious. I'm in India, I really don't think I'll ever see any of these people again. I may forget them, but I'm sure they'll never forget me. They probably went home and told their entire family about the crazy white girl that ran out in front of the bus like a mad women.
I board the correct bus and find my Brazilian friend sitting in our seat, laughing as hard as me. She said, "you should have seen yourself ! I wish I had a picture !"
Despite my extreme embarrassment, I was reluctant to be on the right bus.
During the long bus ride, the scene would play through my head and I would burst into fits of laughter. I'm pretty sure the locals around me thought I was crazy. Oh well, what's a few more!


P.s. While writing this on the bus, I was also laughing hysterically to myself from re-living this story. I got a few odd looks.....

No comments:

Post a Comment